Exciting Opportunity for Senior Researchers in Condition-Based Maintenance and Systems Management Technologies at PARC, a Xerox Company in Palo Alto, CA.
Senior Researcher with PhD in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or related fields with experience in prognostics, predictive analytics, diagnostics, image/data analysis, machine learning or control systems.
PARC’s System Sciences Lab is unlike any organization in the world. Combine the best of an esteemed research organization, a top notch university, an entrepreneurial startup, and a premiere technology company and you get SSL, a team that melds its world-class innovation chops with a focus on researching and developing real world applications that have market potential.
Research in SSL focuses on artificial intelligence, modeling, design, condition management, machine learning, control, planning, optimization, and high performance analytics for a variety of cyber-physical system applications serving product lifecycle management, computer-aided design, manufacturing, security, and autonomous systems. The lab’s focus extends beyond invention: the team creates new business options and opportunities.
We are seeking a senior research scientist in systems modeling, prognostics, diagnostics, data analytics, machine learning, control systems, cyber physical system security, or related fields to join a team of researchers developing innovative condition-based maintenance technologies. More details can be found at www.parc.com/cbm.
The focus area is automated predictive analytics based on embedded sensor data, image, machine logs, and other modality data streams from various cyber-physical systems. Application domains of interest span manufacturing, energy, transportation, aerospace, automotive, and consumer appliances. We are also looking for experience that aligns with our broader vision of developing increasingly autonomous and self-aware connected electromechanical devices/systems.
The ideal candidate is an experienced and established self-starter who can define new interesting research directions, communicate with customers and stakeholders, elicit requirements, define and refine application concepts, and take ideas from the drawing board to prototype deployment. This is an applied research position: we are seeking candidates interested in delivering results based on cutting edge data analytics, prognostics, feature extraction, machine learning and control system methods.
- Work with stakeholders to understand customer needs for fleet and systems health management
- Design, develop, and deliver innovative approaches, algorithms, methods, and models as needed
- Make buy-versus-build decisions for platform software and hardware capabilities
- Design and deliver software prototypes
- Lead/contribute to efforts on engaging new customers and developing new business opportunities, including proposal development
- Ph.D./equivalent experience in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science,or related fields
- At least ten years of experience in prognostics, predictive analytics, diagnostics, image/data analysis, machine learning or control systems.
- Experience with condition-based maintenance or related concepts, methods, and tools
- Strong presentation, written communication, and client engagement skills
- Hands-on software and algorithm development
- Track record in raising research & development funding
- Project leadership skills and experience managing research or development teams
- Experience with predictive analytics applications
- Experience with MATLAB and related toolboxes and/or Python and related tools
- Leadership skills and experience managing research or development teams
- Previous experience in an applied R&D setting working with other Ph.D.-level research scientists
- Demonstrated business development skills
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K. PARC also strives for the best possible work-life balance, so employees benefit from maternity, paternity and adoption leave, as well as a variety of flexible working options. PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. People with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation to apply or compete for employment with PARC should contact PARC Human Resources.